Thursday, October 17, 2013

Author Interview with author Karen Greco, author of Hell’s Belle

Hells Belle Banner 450 X 169

Today on the blog we have author Karen Greco for an interview. Thank you for joining us Karen.

Where are you from?

Originally I am from Rhode Island. But I've been in the NYC area for about 17 or so years.

When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing seriously in college. I wrote plays. When I got out of school, I was on a journalism/PR career track, so I kind of left writing behind. I started loads of projects but never finished them. Until Hell's Belle.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I am not sure I consider myself one yet! It's all a work in progress.

What inspired you to write your first book?

A lot of things. I am really inspired by places. Providence is such a neat little city, and it really drove a lot of the inspiration for the book.

Do you have a specific writing style?

I am a pretty straightforward writer. I am not terribly flowery.

How did you come up with the title?

It's a riff on the AC/DC song! When I was writing plays, I usually took my titles from music. Figured I'd continue the tradition.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

I think there are a few messages, but I would prefer readers to get to them on their own, if they are interested. Most important to me was entertaining the reader.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Some of the characters are definitely composites of people I know. But it's not based on any events from my own life. That would be kind of crazy! Awesome but crazy!

What books have most influenced your life most?

Probably Wuthering Heights. I love that book.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

I would love Richard Kadrey to be my mentor! Otherwise, I don't know that I really have one.

What book are you reading now?

I am just starting S.M. Sterling's Dies the Fire, and I am reading a few early stage novels that friends wrote.

What are your current projects?

I am working on the follow up to Hell's Belle and am also working on a horror novel. I am at the outline phase of a paranormal YA that I am pretty excited about, so I may shelve the horror novel for a bit.

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

Oh wow, it's going to be tough to narrow that down. I have been fortunate enough to work in the creative field so I know so many wonderful writers and artists that have been huge supporters.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I wanted to be an actor and just started writing a lot of my own material. It just kind of spiraled from there.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I think it's solitude. While I love to be alone in my world, sometimes you just need someone to talk to or to brainstorm. When you work by yourself, it's hard to find that.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I love Richard Kadrey. Spare writing style, great action, terrific world building, difficult but awesome characters.

Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

No I don't travel much. Yet.

Who designed the covers?

Robin Ludwig from Covers by Robin did my cover. She's amazing.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Having patience with it. I am not a patient person, and you have to be when writing a novel.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

That I can indeed do it!

Do you have any advice for other writers?

For the longest time, I didn't write because I was afraid it wasn't "good enough." I am not sure who I had in mind when I made that decision. I finally made the decision to no long be afraid, and it was the most important decision I ever made.

Describe a typical day spent writing. Do you have any unusual writing habits?

I wish I had a full day to spend writing! My day job is too busy, so I have to steal time when I can. I don't have any habits really.

What was your greatest moment since becoming an author?

How proud my daughter is of me. That's pretty cool. I like that she see that it's important to go for your dreams.

1 comment: